Thursday, October 12, 2017

Cllr Canal,Leader of Redbridge Conservatives predicts King George A&E will be open for "many years to come"

I copy below a letter from Cllr Canal sent to me earlier today. I hope his prediction is correct, but until an official announcement is made, the campaign must continue. 


Dear Andy,
I was hoping to be with you on Saturday but regret I must extend my apologies as I am attending a family funeral in Liverpool.
I thought it would be helpful to reiterate our position on King George A&E.
As you know, there are no plans to close King George hospital. The hospital will serve the needs of local residents for many decades to come. There are also no plans to reduce the current 24hr opening of the hospital.
The review commissioned by Labour health minister Andy Burnham’s in 2009 did however recommend a downgrading of the site from a full A&E to an urgent care centre.
We have consistently opposed this recommendation. We believe the review as first published was fundamentally flawed, underestimated the demand for services then, and failed to take account of any increase in service demand in future years. In our view a 24 hr 7 day a week King George A&E remains crucial to delivering excellent care to residents across NE London.
The recommendation to downgrade King George A&E was originally supported by the Redbridge CCG. Indeed, without their support for that decision, and their subsequent support for the STP, this option would not be on the table. This was, and is disappointing. Without the support of the relevant CCGs, this proposal would not have taken off.
I am unable to reveal the discussions that have taken place within the BHRUT Emergency Department Working Group this year. Suffice to say that no-one who provided evidence to us this year now supports the original recommendation.
It is clear that not only was the original decision flawed, but the new “facts on the ground” make any downgrading untenable. Extra pressure on other already overstretched resources would have compromised patient safety. The only safe option is a fully functioning 24hr King George A&E.
The formal route to ending this madness is the publication of the Price Waterhouse review. It’s contents confirm the views of residents and councillors. I continue to urge immediate publication of the PW review. It will be the final nail in the coffin for this flawed plan.
In May of this year I said that King George A&E was not closing. I have lobbied extensively to ensure that is the case. Based on both evidence to the working group and my own conversations with senior ministers and civil servants, I will now go further. Not only is it not closing, it will remain open 24hrs a day, seven days a week, and will attract further investment to recent its future for many years to come.
I do not however underestimate the wider challenges to the health economy and health services in Redbridge and North East London. We need to build on the excellent work of our BHRUT ED working group and convene a further working group to look closely at health provision across Redbridge. We need to more effectively work with and hold the CCG to account. We need to more effectively lobby to reduce the funding gap that has existed in Redbridge for over 30 years.
Your campaign, for which I congratulate you, has been an exemplar in cross party work. I hope we can continue to work collaboratively to advance the interests of all residents in Redbridge and beyond.
I hope tomorrow Saturday goes well and reiterate my support to the campaign.
In the meantime, I look forward to formal confirmation of the abandonment of this flawed recommendation, and then working with others to further improve health services for all across Redbridge.

Regards
Cllr Paul Canal
Cllr Paul Canal
Bridge Ward Councillor
Leader of the Conservative Group

London Borough of Redbridge 

No comments:

Post a Comment